Something about a wedding on the beach, with the soft sand under your toes, the sound of the waves in the background, and the salty air is incredibly romantic. To top it all off, the ocean will serve as a stunning background, making it all the more important to dress to impress.
However, there are a few dos and don’ts to remember when picking out an outfit. A lot of people wonder if they should stick with tradition and wear white to a beach wedding, and that’s a perfectly reasonable concern. In this article, we will delve deeply into this question so that you can make an informed decision about what to wear to your beach wedding. Have a seat, kick back, and prepare to get immersed!
Can You Wear A White Dress To A Beach Wedding?
There is no simple yes or no when it comes to whether or not you should wear a white dress to a seaside wedding. The bride is the only person at the wedding who is expected to wear white, so it is considered rude for others to also dress in white and steal the spotlight. Modern wedding etiquette has become less strict, and guests can wear white without drawing too much attention away from the bride.
White is a classic and elegant choice for a beach wedding since it is a bright, breezy colour that brings out the natural beauty of the beach. Try not to wear a dress that is too similar to the bride in cut or colour. Dress in a different shade of white, such as ivory or cream, or add some colour highlights if the bride is wearing a white gown.
In the end, you should take into account the wedding dress code and the preferences of the bride and groom while deciding what to wear. Dress to the occasion if the invitation stipulates a certain level of formality. Also, if you’re not sure if a white dress is appropriate for an event, it’s better to err on the side of caution and wear something else.
Tips On Outfit Selection
What to wear to a beach wedding is not always easy to figure out. The warm weather and the beach need that you look your best without sacrificing your comfort. You can get the right attire for a seaside wedding by following these suggestions.
Consider The Dress Code
Wedding dress codes are crucial when choosing attire. To dress correctly, follow the dress code on the invitation. Weddings are most formal with black tie. Women should wear a floor-length gown or elegant cocktail dress and males a tuxedo with a black bow tie.
Formal or black-tie optional allows males to wear tuxedos or dark suits and women to wear formal gowns, cocktail dresses, or elegant pieces. Men wear suits and ties, while ladies wear cocktail dresses or stylish separates.
Casual wedding attire lets you wear comfortably while yet looking nice. Women can wear sundresses or skirts with blouses, while men can wear khakis or formal pants with a button-down shirt.
Beach weddings are more relaxed and allow lighter fabrics and brighter colours. Women can wear a sundress or a flowy maxi dress, while males can wear linen slacks and a button-down shirt.
Choose Light And Airy Fabrics
Choosing light and airy fabrics is important when dressing for a beach wedding as it will help you stay cool and comfortable in the warm weather. Here are some fabrics that are perfect for a beach wedding:
- Cotton: Cotton is a versatile and comfortable fabric that’s perfect for the beach. It’s breathable, lightweight, and absorbs moisture, making it perfect for warm weather.
- Linen: Linen is another great option for a beach wedding. It’s lightweight and breathable, and it has a natural texture that gives it a relaxed and casual feel.
- Chiffon: Chiffon is a delicate and sheer fabric that’s perfect for beach weddings. It’s lightweight, airy, and adds a touch of elegance to any outfit.
- Rayon: Rayon is a soft and lightweight fabric that’s often used for summer clothing. It’s comfortable to wear and has a silky feel, making it perfect for beach weddings.
- Silk: Silk is a luxurious and lightweight fabric that’s perfect for beach weddings. It’s breathable and has a natural sheen that adds a touch of elegance to any outfit. However, it’s important to note that silk can wrinkle easily and may not be the most practical option for a beach wedding.
Opt For Bright Colours
Choosing bright colours is a great way to add a fun and cheerful element to your outfit for a beach wedding. Here are some reasons why you might want to opt for bright colours:
- Bright colours are perfect for summer: Bright colours are associated with summer, and they’re a great way to add some vibrancy to your outfit. They can help you stand out and create a cheerful and festive atmosphere at the wedding.
- They complement the beach setting: Bright colours look great against the natural backdrop of the beach. They can help you blend in with the environment, and they look great in photos.
- They’re versatile: Bright colours can be worn by anyone, regardless of skin tone or body shape. They’re flattering and can be styled in many different ways, making them a great choice for a beach wedding.
- They’re festive: Bright colours are associated with celebration and joy, making them a perfect fit for a wedding. They can help you get in the mood and create a fun and festive atmosphere.
Accessorize With Care
Accessories for a beach wedding should be chosen with the setting in mind so that they are both beautiful and functional. Accessories should be light and adaptable, as heavy or bulky pieces may not be comfortable or practical on the beach.
You can seem put together and professional by sticking to a few basic pieces. To get the most out of your accessories, pick pieces that can be worn in a variety of configurations.
It is also essential that your accessories complement your clothing. Pick accessories that will make your clothing look better. A set of stud earrings, for instance, can make even the most basic sundress look more sophisticated, while a bold necklace can give an otherwise subtle dress a bolder sense of identity.
Consider The Shoes
One of the most important parts of getting ready for a beach wedding is picking out the perfect shoes. Think about the venue’s topography and weather before making your shoe purchase. Avoid wearing shoes with thin soles or high heels to the beach so that your feet don’t get caught in the sand.
Shoes for a seaside wedding should be stylish and comfortable. You should wear shoes with padded soles or straps that provide support and prevent discomfort because you will be standing and walking on sand.
It’s not just the dress that counts; matching shoes are a must. The right pair of shoes can make or break an outfit. Both strappy sandals and espadrilles can elevate the look of a sundress, depending on the occasion.
You should also pack an extra pair of shoes in case your current ones get worn out or destroyed. Flip-flops or flats, which are both lightweight and compact, can serve as a backup pair of footwear on the beach.
Dressing in layers can be a smart strategy to create a versatile and comfortable ensemble for a beach wedding. By layering, you can adjust your outfit for the temperature or activity level of the day.
Layers for a beach wedding should be made from light fabrics so that guests don’t get too hot and uncomfortable. Linen and cotton, two breathable fabrics, are excellent choices. You should also check the forecast and pack a light cardigan or wrap in case it gets chilly.
When you layer your clothing, you can experiment with different combinations to find your signature style. To add dimension to a plain sundress, try layering it with a denim jacket and a lightweight scarf. However, to avoid looking dishevelled, you should choose layers that go well together.
If you’re not sure what to wear, getting ready for a beach wedding may be both fun and thrilling, and a bit of a challenge. With the aforementioned advice in mind, you can put together an outfit that is both fashionable and functional, allowing you to go about your day in comfort and style.
Keep the dress code in mind while deciding what to wear, opt for airy materials, add minimal but tasteful accessories, wear sensible shoes, and layer up for maximum wearability. You can put together a look that is ideal for a seaside ceremony with just a little forethought and preparation.
Looking for more information? Visit beach wedding dress nz today!